Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 12: Hualian

Woke up really early today! 8am... Joan, try waking this early sometime... it's good for you. :P Finally have the chance to have a proper breakfast in Taiwan. Had this egg roll sandwich thing with coffee. It's really yummy!

Then head out to take a train to Hualian. The train ride is fantastic! It's scenic. Imagine a backdrop of mountains so high that the peak is surrounded with clouds. It's luscious green is dotted with red temples and there are flows of river going through it. The other side of this view it's an equally awesome view of the ocean. The air is cool and fresh... no pollution whatsoever. Feel like writing a poem! Okie... maybe not... i'm not an artsy fartsy person. On the contrary, I met an artistic person in the train ride! A Hong Konger who is an independent film director travelling alone to Hualian. His name is erm... shit.. let me think.. Zhi Mo. His hair is longer than mine! And is super pleasant to talk to (10 times better than the Korean I met in Taipei).

Okie... I know you want to know this... let's see.. He is not handsome. He is probably cute. If I imagine him in a nice hair cut (short of course... since I like men with short hairs). he will probably get a 7.5? He has his own charm. And he is just sooooooooooo pleasant and easy going!

So, ZM has no idea where to stay but he wants to go to Taroko. And.. I know where to stay (no bookings made) and wants to go to Taroko! So, after hearing what an awesome hostel I'm planning to go, he ask if he can tag along. Of course I said yes. I'm nice. :) And he is nice to talk to. The poor chap help to carry my luggage for 20 mins until we found the place. I have got my travel mate!

We had lunch, walked to the ocean, had coffee and kept walking for 5 hours. Had dinner and walked back. Of course we stay in the same dorm i.e. a room of 6. The other beds are empty. And nope... I'm not thinking what you are thinking.

Oh... the Taiwanese are super friendly! When we got lost, they offered to drive us to the target destination. When it's raining, they offered their umbrella for free! Even when we started walking after getting lost again, they drove around and offer the ride. It's so touching!

Taroko tomorrow! The tour that I have booked starts at 8am! *yawnnnn...* I need a strong cuppa to start the day tom. Night!

3 comments:

  1. Well at least got someone carrying your bags around :P. Check your work email... I mailed u something on banding

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. sounds like fun!! Glad u found yourself a travel mate. Just be careful okie?

    But i'm surprised Taiwanese are that friendly, u probably should speak some hokkien with them too. See if they will give u more discount..:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really super duper friendly. CM said the last time he came here and he was stucked in a small town and has no transport to head back. So he stayed in a temple and the next day, an uncle offered his place for him to stay. "His place" actually turns out to be half of his bed. The uncle even stayed awake the whole night by watching tv so that he can be on time to send CM to the train station! Wah laoo... like watching movie lor..

    ReplyDelete